Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Saint Patrick's, Dublin Castle, & Trinity

Well I have officially arrived in Ireland!!

I left Richmond Sunday afternoon, flying into to DC and then onto Dublin. They are 5 hours ahead of us here so I ended up arriving at around 5:30 in the morning. Surprisingly I didn't get any sleep on the plane but pushed through most of the day, only taking a short nap around 4 o'clock. I've adjusted pretty well to the time change for the second day here. 

After taking a taxi to our Airbnb to meet my Aunt Peg and drop of my luggage we set out adventure as it was a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky and no rain in our near future. My Aunt has been here before, staying for 3 weeks a few summers ago so it is nice to be with someone who has a feel on the area. 
___________

Day 1:

The first stop was Saint Patrick's Cathedral which was absolutely gorgeous. It wasn't nearly as crowded as I expected and was dog friendly.




Afterwards we headed to Dublin Castle, where we didn't do much but browse the perimeter. Beautiful building and grounds as so many places here are.







We made a stop at Trinity College, located right in the middle of Dublin. One of my very favorite professors from went here for her Ph.D so I will be happy to report that we took some time to look around. It was one of the prettiest campuses I've ever seen but also packed with tourists. Tour days were some of my least favorite at Longwood so I can only imagine going to school at a local tourist attraction.

Trinity is known for the Book of Kells which is housed in their famous library, we didn't go in yesterday because you have to actually take the tour but plan on doing so later in the week once rain rolls in.




We ended my first day at Oliver St. John Gogerty's which is your typical Irish pub with Bulmer's. I haven't taken the plunge and had a Guinness but I promised my Dad I would have one before I returned home. I can also say that I've had fish and chips in my 48 hours here, which were to die for.



More to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment