Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Blood Drive: Ehh




I think most of us know how terrified I am of needles.
I get nervous before I even go to the doctor to get a shot.
It is all that I can think about, including everything that could possibly go wrong.
It started when I was little.
They used to dread having to take me to the pediatrician.
I would ask days before going if I was going to have to get a shot, they always said no.
They lied.
I get nervous, clammy, and get anxiety when I even think about it
I tend to faint whenever I get an IV or give blood, which is odd considering my future nursing profession.
Well, today the American Red Cross came to ECU and held an all day blood drive.
Many teachers gave the incentive of extra credit if you participated.

Elizabeth who has been sick for a couple days was in no condition of giving blood today.
Those ten extra credit points were sounding awfully nice though. 
To get your points you or someone else has to donate in place for you.
I was that nice person today.
(You owe me Liz!)

I am happy to say that today was the FIRST ever successful donation that I have made.
I have never actually made it through the entire process.
I get through the screening and the awful finger prick that they say "doesn't hurt".
Once again, they lie.
Usually as soon they stick my arm I am a goner.
Today was different, I made it!
Afterwards I was a little dizzy.
 Which was easily fixed by some cranberry juice and pretzels, then I was on my way!
It is a pretty rewarding feeling after you complete the process, a lot more so than I expected.
I have always been so disappointed that I haven't been able to make a donation so today was a definite monumental moment!


Nervously awaiting my turn
I wouldn't have considered myself "ready"

No comments:

Post a Comment