Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Magnolia Market & The Silos

Waco, Texas.

With a population around 130,000 and home to Baylor University along with being right up the street to the home of George W. Bush in Crawford, TX I wouldn't say that there is a ton going on in this college town.
When I think of a small, quaint, and southern town well Waco is pretty much exactly what comes to mind being around half the size of Richmond. There is something about it that made me want to explore, you always find hidden gems in places like that.

If you watch TV then I'm sure that you've seen Fixer Upper, the home renovation show on HGTV starring the ever so charming Chip & Joanna Gaines. Well, my family like many is pretty obsessed with it. We love it, we watch it, we record it, and well I got in my head that I wanted to visit their new store/silos while I was home which is exactly what we did. 

I took a few days off of work before Christmas, my Dad and I hit the road around 8:30 and arrived before lunch. It is around a 3 hour drive northwest of Houston. I won't say that the drive was overly scenic and it was kind of a gloomy day but I would be lying if I said that I wasn't excited like a little kid on Christmas.

 

The silos were decked out in full on Christmas mode. 


 
The actual market, "Magnolia Market" was gorgeous not only meaning the items they were selling but the structure itself. It was so cozy yet filled with so many people since it was a Friday. I had just finished Chip & Joanna's book before this trip so I learned that they used to have a tiny shop up the street from this about a fifth of the size. We stocked up, checked out,  andI might have had to convince my Dad that he did not need a 5 feet tall clock for our fireplace before we left.



I was really surprised by how kid and dog friendly it was, when you exited the market there was a huge area almost field like with swing sets, picnic tables, corn hole etc which were all on AstroTurf. It made you want to eat and stay awhile, which is exactly what we did.






They had around  8-12 food trucks set up on the outskirts of the property all with super eclectic and fun vendors. I think that the majority of them were home to Waco with actual brick and mortar locations in town. It was definitely hard to chose but I ended up going with a chipotle chicken sandwich on a crepe, not a typical combo but oh so good!




And of course the bakery.

Everyone knows that I have a sweet tooth so I obviously wanted to save the best for last. They have this adorable little bakery on the grounds of the market which the cutest decor and outdoor seating. I wish it would have been sunny and warm outside for us to enjoy it but we ended up getting it to go to  explore a little more of Waco.

I chose a lemon lavender cupcake and I must report that it was pretty darn good.





It was a really fun little day trip, definitely something that I would highly suggest if you are near Waco and a fan of the show! Sadly we didn't see Chip & Joe but learned that they only live around 20 minutes away in Crawford, maybe next time! The lady at the checkout counter said that they make appearances regularly. 




post signatureUntil next time Waco!

No comments:

Post a Comment