Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Summer 2017

Summer 2017. 

Summer always flies by, it never fails - it has always been my favorite season but I'm somewhat happy to see it leave this year. I'm ready to part with the heat, humidity, and to pack away my summer clothes. I'll miss the longer days and the freedom that tends to come hand in hand with the season but I'm oh so ready for the cooler temperatures, everything orange/red/yellow, October, and well of course...anything pumpkin. 

But I won't get ahead of myself and I'll catch up on this summer, my first summer that wasn't preceded by a school year. These past few months and this summer in general have been amazing yet hard - it has been rewarding yet it has been challenging. I feel like I've grown a lot, learned many things about myself along with what I want in this world and to me that is priceless.

I've really settled into my job and genuinely love what I'm doing along with the amazing people I spend my time with. I've learned that the quality of friends are so much more important than the quantity and that you have to put yourself first. This summer has been full of lessons, adventures, and  memories exploring with my favorite people in some of my favorite places.


July started off with a girls trip to Vegas which couldn't have been more amazing. 

It was the perfect time to get away and we had a blast, even down to the plane rides to and from. Lots of amazing food, plenty of sunshine, and even more laughs. 

We went to a show each night, spent some much needed time at the pool, and most of all recharged. 








I mean they have alcoholic Baha Blasts, need I say more?


Lots of sunshine and pool time - Natalie and I joined ACAC at the end of June and it was amazing to be able to head to the pool on Saturday and Sunday since we don't live in an apartment complex with one.


Lots of random lunches, dinners, and adventures with some of my favorites around RVA exploring new and old places.


Pretending like I was permanent on vacation





A new ice cream shop opened up down the street, Charm School - not good for my sweet tooth. 


My Dad came home to Richmond at the end of July for a visit as he does every summer, typically around my Poppy's birthday. It is always so good to have him home and we always treasure the limited time.

The older I have gotten the more I seem to enjoy these trips as we genuienly share the same interests and just have fun. We love to have him and hate to see him go.

Until next time, Mitch!



Nat had a birthday and we celebrated at Sam Hunt in Virginia Beach.

Terrible concert but a great time celebrating the Queen that I'm so lucky to call roommate.



Margaret moved back home to Northern Virginia around 2 weeks ago and we miss her already around here. Richmond won't be the same without you Marge but I'm so happy that you got to go back home! Thank you for helping me fall in love with Church Hill and our park adventures. 

You always have an open couch to sleep on for visits!


It would be complete without a trip to Charlottesville to see baby Q - who doesn't even look like a baby anymore!

Kathy and I headed down to Lauren's house for a weekend filled with Bodo's and matadors just like old times. What a rough drive home and I haven't had a drink since this trup but always oh so worth it. 

Spending time with them always leaves my heart overflowing and so very thankful






I headed up NoVa for the Coldplay concert (with a generously gifted ticket) from Charlottesville with the lovely Truluck family- amazing as always and probably one of the best concerts I've ever been to. It was truly more of a show/performance than a concert.

Coldplay was actually my first concert as a little kid with my Dad but continued to impress me 17 years later. Highly recommend if you ever have the opportunity to attend one of their shows.






I've had lots of illegal slumber parties with this little one these past few weeks, illegal because my landlord doesn't allow dogs so we have to space them out. Its always so nice to have her and catch up on doggy snuggles.

She always makes herself right at home and loves a down comforter/feather pillow as much as I do. It is so hard to believe she is almost 7, she had an impromptu trip to the vet today due to back problems from jumping on and off of the ottoman - get a dog they said, it will be fun they said...but oh so worth it.






KP and I headed up to Woodbridge for Ash's apartment warming get together. It was so nice to get to see her new place and some of my favorite people all at once.

I miss living in 308 with this girl more that I ever thought I could but couldn't be happier for her next adventure.


I actually went to the movies a lot this summer - something I typically don't do too often anymore as it is around $78 to go to the movies and get popcorn (ok, I'm being dramatic but you get the gist). Well, I saw Girls Trip...twice. Actually one of the most hilarious movies I have ever seen and I highly suggest getting it at your Redbox.


I headed to Licking Hole Creek with the Folmer Girls, we went last year for the sunflowers and it was absolutely gorgeous. We were pretty disappointed this year in the selection, they had actually plowed 90% of the sunflower fields and only had a few flowers that looked much more like weeds in my opinion.

All in all a fun Sunday with my old roomies but majorly disappointed with the venue.

#flossposse

We've had some cool evenings recently and I actually think we've only turned on our AC maybe 2 of the last 10 days. There is nothing better than cool nights and sleeping with the windows open, gives me hope that Fall is headed our way.


I got a new car - again (yes, I know).

I had previously gotten a new car last fall which I stilled loved and was very happy with.

My car got hit back in April/May in a parking deck while in NoVa and I never got it fixed, I went back and forth on what to do but ended up trading it in for my new car.

After working, and researching, and studying (only if you knew Poppy Johnston) - I test drove more than I care to admit I picked a Ford Escape and I really do love it. I've enjoyed driving it this past week and have found that I really like sitting higher up on the road.

Couldn't have done it without you Poppy!



Houston got hit this past week, hard.

You see catastrophes on the news all the time, on magazines, and on social media in today's age but you ever anticipate it happening to those you love.

Thankfully my Dad and Step Mom stayed safe and dry the entire time, only losing power for a few hours (only because someone was cutting trees down and hit a power line). We are so thankful and blessed but there are so many who were not nearly as fortunate.

We have many family members that were not nearly as lucky who have lost their homes and all of their belonging and it makes you count your blessings and remember the things that truly matter. So many thoughts and so much love continuing to go out to Houston as they begin this long journey of rebuilding.

There is truly no place like home.



And last but not least - a great way to end summer and welcome this next season with open arms. My first PSL of the season, this was somewhat premature in my opinion but we had rain and temperatures with a high of 64 this weekend so it was actually perfect.


So cheers to another summer for the books and welcoming this next season with open arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment