Sunday, August 23, 2015

Senior Year

Tomorrow is the last of my firsts. The last first day of college in my undergraduate career and I am honestly really sad. I've tried to push my emotions aside and ignore the pit in my stomach but you can only do that for so long. I'm so thankful for my time so far here at Longwood and am blessed to have finally found a place that has a little piece of my heart. While it is coming to an end I cannot wait to enjoy the next nine months, I have a feeling they will be the best ones yet.

I read this article the other day and it summed up exactly how I was feeling about my situation and my college experience as a whole. Definitely a good read for those entering their Senior year.
__________________

Senior year is beginning, and a whirlwind of emotions is already overwhelming my body. This is the last first everything. Last first day of school. Last first home football game. Last first time this year I will steal my roommates toilet paper (sorry in advance). Is it ridiculous to get this sentimental when the year has only just begun, and graduation is a casual nine months away? Probably. But will I still fight back sobs as I eat my "last first bowl of cereal" in my apartment? Absolutely.

Ok, so I'm being slightly over the top, but is it really that terrible to have loved your college experience so aggressively much that four years just didn't seem like an adequate amount of time? Because I could go for a victory lap... (Mom? Dad? Anyone?) Even though a fifth year of college really isn't in the cards for me, as I will have already finished both my degrees, a girl can dream.

Seriously, though, why are people counting down to graduation? I understand being excited for the future what not, but I'm also a major proponent for putting off the real world for as long as possible. College is just such a unique time in our lives, and I know I'm going to miss absolutely everything about it.

Where else will I be able to come home to roommates who will lay in my bed and ask me about my day? And play with my hair? And bring me food when the day has been too strenuous and a walk to the kitchen would be simply impossible?

College roommates are unlike any other people you will ever have relationships with in life – I'm sure of it. They are a shining beacon of hope when you think you have nothing left. They are your personal cheerleaders, chefs, and therapists. They essentially have every role covered, and there will be a major void when I no longer have them to come home to.

I may be completely alone in this, but I am honestly going to miss going to class *pauses to be boo-ed and ridiculed*. I mean, it's not like I was heading to my 9 am in the freezing temperatures last winter with a smile plastered on my face while wholeheartedly savoring the moment, but I know that there are things about going to class that I will miss. I love my morning coffee and having a schedule and meeting up with friends on campus. It may be the little things, but I think thats what I'll probably end up missing the most.

I know it's entirely too early to get nostalgic and emotional. I have an entire 9 months before that fateful graduation day in May, and who knows, by that time I may be ready. Until then however, I plan to savor and enjoy every moment that senior year has in store for me.

I'll cherish the crazy nights out with my friends, as well as the ones spent on the couch laughing at how scripted and fake The Bachelor is. I'll say "yes" to as many things as possible- clubs, events, new friends, new classes, everything. I refuse to look back and wish I worked harder, took more chances, or lived more freely. This is my last year of college, and I'm not taking a single thing for granted.








 xo




No comments:

Post a Comment